Nord Family Foundation announces $3.5 million in grants to nonprofits – Morning Journal
The Nord Family Foundation has announced the list of nonprofits in arts and culture, civic affairs, education, and health and human services that have received grants this cycle, according to a report. group press release.
At the June 25 Board meeting, approved grants totaled $3,383,825 to be disbursed in Lorain and Cuyahoga counties; Columbia, South Carolina; Denver Metro; Boston; Penn Yan, NY, and other areas of interest.
Another 65 actions totaling $175,643 were also ratified at the meeting, bringing the total grants authorized in this round to $3,559,468, according to the release.
The Nord Family Foundation announced Marcia Ballinger, president of Lorain County Community College, as its newest community trustee.
Ballinger has over 25 years of experience in community college leadership roles that have advanced student success, workforce and economic development, strategic planning, and institutional advancement , according to the press release.
During his 25-year career at LCCC, Ballinger has developed a culture of innovation, risk-taking and entrepreneurship, according to the statement.
“Since the foundation’s inception in 1988, community trustees have been integral to the prospect and success of the Nord Family Foundation,” said Eric C. Nord, president of the
Nord Family Foundation, in the press release. “We are thrilled to have Dr. Ballinger join current community trustees Margarita Quinones of Lorain County and Kevin Johnson of Cuyahoga County to serve on the board of the Nord Family Foundation.
“We look forward and excited to engage in our work together in Lorain County.”
The Nord Family Foundation succeeds the charitable trust originally established by Walter G. Nord in 1952.
The previous organization donated over $12 million to various charitable causes between 1953 and 1988, primarily in Lorain County.
The Nord Family Foundation has donated more than $150 million to nonprofit organizations in northern Ohio and select geographic family-interest areas.
The following grants have been approved:
arts and culture
• Great Lakes Theater Festival Inc. Cleveland for continued support of theater education programming in Lorain County – $20,000
• Northern Ohio Youth Orchestra Inc. for ongoing general operating support – $40,000
• Oberlin Choristers for ongoing general operational support – $40,000
• Oberlin College for Need-Based Scholarships for Oberlin Community Music School Students – $25,000
• The MAD Factory Oberlin for ongoing general operational support – $50,000
• Center for Food Innovation @ Oberlin for Food Innovation Boot Camps – $15,000
• Kendal Northern Ohio, Oberlin, for a capital project to renovate an old school building to create community space – $25,000
• Lorain County Community College Foundation for Lorain County Community Development Corp. to support the development and implementation of a county-wide strategic economic plan – $50,000
• Cour municipale de Lorain for continued support to the Municipal Court of Collection of Lorain – $104,700
• New Agrarian Center, Oberlin, for the purchase of an all-electric delivery truck – $26,000
• Foundation Oakland, California, to support Resilia’s capacity building efforts and technical assistance for Lorain County nonprofits – $63,775
• The Legal Aid Society of Cleveland for its continued support of legal aid for indigent Lorain County residents – $160,000
• The MAD Factory Oberlin for capital improvements to the Lorain theater space, MAD Factory on Broadway – $62,000
• Lorain County Educational Services Center for Educator Retention in Lorain County – $160,000
• Oberlin Early Years Center for ongoing support for general operations – $60,000
• Cleveland Clinic Foundation for Youth Strategies Flagship Initiatives in Lorain County toward scholarships – $50,000
Health and social services
• CHN Housing Partners for Lorain County Expansion – $50,000
• Local Clearview Schools for Community Wellness Center staff and programming support – $100,000
• Cleveland Hearing & Speech Center for continued support for the expansion of outreach services for the deaf and hard of hearing community in Lorain County – $35,000
• Lorain County Office of Aging Inc. for ongoing general operational support – $70,000
• Lorain County Public Health for their continued support of the Prescription Assistance Program – $38,750
• Lorain County Urban League Inc. for ongoing general operational support – $75,000
• Lorain Urban Minority Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Outreach Program Inc. for ongoing general operating support – $50,000
• New Oberlin Agrarian Center for continued support of the City Fresh program for low-income Lorain County residents – $50,000
• Oberlin Community Services Board for ongoing general operational support – $80,000
• Providence House Inc. Cleveland for continued support of crisis services for children and their families in Lorain County – $45,000
• Salvation Army – Northeast Ohio Division Cleveland for continued general operational support in Lorain County – $90,000
• Second Harvest Food Bank of North Central Ohio, Lorain, for their continued support of increased food resources from Lorain County Hunger Relief Partners – $225,000
• The Road To Hope Inc., Elyria, for ongoing general operational support – $90,000
• Youth Challenge Westlake for Ongoing Support for Adapted Programs for Children with Disabilities in Lorain County – $15,000