Ghanaian teachers are furious with their unions over laptop chop chop


Teachers from the Ghana National Teachers Association (GNAT), the National Association of Graduated Teachers (NAGRAT) and the Concerned Teachers Coalition (CCT) are furious at the leadership of the Ghana National Teachers Association (GNAT), the National Association of Graduated Teachers (NAGRAT) and the Coalition of Concerned Teachers (CCT) for what they claim to be the government’s “one teacher, one laptop” policy. Teachers claim their union leaders plotted to raise the cost of computers in order to defraud underprivileged teachers across the country. Some of the rabid teachers who spoke to News Ghana were perplexed as to why their own union leaders, who should be working for the welfare of their members, would devise a scheme to trick them into hiding behind the government.

Investigations by News Ghana indicate that in September 2020, the leadership of the three unions; GNAT, NAGRAT and CCT with a membership of 350,000 members have requested financial support from the government through the Ministry of Education (MoE) for the purchase and distribution of laptops for its members. According to the initial contract signed between the Ministry of Education, teachers’ unions and KA Technologies on November 13, 2020, the unions demanded the purchase and supply of some 280,000 laptops to its members.

“It is sad that our own union leaders have decided to take advantage of us by inflating the cost of the laptops that they have gone to ask the government to provide to teachers. How can our leaders be so cruel and insensitive to the plight of the Ghanaian teacher who has been treated unfairly by successive governments, ”a teacher told News Ghana. Another teacher said: “GNAT, from day one, has been silent on this laptop policy ever since people started asking questions about cost, brand and whether teachers were consulted on this. topic. They were silent because they knew what they were doing.

Following the considerable financial demands of the project, a cost-sharing agreement between the teachers’ unions and the Ministry of Education was proposed by the management of the union in which the Ministry of Education was to contribute 70% of the cost. total while the remaining 30% had to be absorbed by teachers. An application for approval to use a single-source procurement process to engage KA Technologies Ghana Limited (a company proposed by the teachers’ unions) for the supply of the laptops was made on December 17, 2020 with the Minister of ‘Education of the time, the Hon. Dr Mathew Opoku Prempeh.

However, to their surprise, an amount of GH 509.55 was deducted from the November salaries of some 350,000 public sector teachers across the country, a development that teachers are unhappy with and call on their union leaders. to immediately provide answers because why such a sum of money was deducted from their salaries for the cost of laptops. Attempts to get the leaders of the three teachers’ unions to speak out on the issue were unsuccessful. Final element

Subsequently, an approval to use the single source method of supply to engage KA Technologies to supply the computers at a unit cost of GH 1,550 per unit. As a result, a Memorandum of Understanding has been signed between the Ministry of Education, teachers’ unions and KA Technologies Ghana Limited for the procurement and supply of laptops. According to the agreement, an amount of GH 465 should have been deducted from the salaries of pre-college teachers at the end of last month.

Summary of the news:

  • Ghanaian teachers are furious with their unions over laptop chop chop
  • Check out all the news and articles about the latest security updates.
Disclaimer: If you need to update / change this article, please visit our help center. For the latest updates Follow us on googIe New


Comments are closed.